Things have altered dramatically with the release of Windows 10. Web browsers are increasingly more feature-focused, and they use a lot of storage and RAM. Some of us still use earlier versions of Windows, such as Windows XP, Windows 7, and so on.
Although the earlier version of Windows is undoubtedly superior to the current Windows 10, industry heavyweights such as Google, Mozilla, and Opera Software have already abandoned support for the older desktop operating system.
List of 10 Best Browsers For Old, Slow PCs in 2021
You may now anticipate a few problems and crashes if you use Google Chrome on Windows XP or Windows 7. We’ve prepared a list of the best web browsers for old and sluggish machines to address these problems. To operate on a computer, these web browsers do not need a high-end hardware setup. So, let’s get this party started.
K-Melon, which uses Firefox’s Gecko engine, was one of the earliest web browsers available. K-Melon is one of the finest web browsers for outdated machines since it has minimal similarities to Mozilla Firefox. However, K-Melon does not allow add-ons or extensions, although the browser does provide a number of helpful plug-ins that extend the browser’s capabilities.
- The web browser is based on the Gecko layout engine, which Firefox uses.
- K-melon brings a tabbed browsing experience on a low-end system.
- It also supports mouse gestures.
- You can also customize the toolbar, menu, context menu, etc.
Midori may be a good option if you want a web browser that uses the WebKit rendering engine and can compete with Chrome in terms of performance. The nice thing about the Midori browser is that it doesn’t have any extra options and has a simple UI. What’s more, it supports plugins, which may significantly increase the browser’s capabilities.
- It’s an open-source and lightning-fast web browser for Windows.
- The web browser provides you with all the tools to guarantee your privacy and anonymity.
- The user interface of the web browser is pretty clean.
3. Pale Moon
Pale Moon is another excellent lightweight browser based on the source code of Firefox. Pale Moon is a good choice for Windows XP and Vista users searching for a browser. What’s more, guess what? Pale Moon runs on computers with less than 256MB of RAM. Not only that but the web browser is designed to operate on older CPUs as well. Pale Moon is another excellent web browser that you may install on your old PC.
- It’s an open-source web browser that focuses on efficiency and customization.
- Pale moon offers lots of security features.
- It automatically blocks ads, web trackers, and Spywares.
4. Maxthon 5
Maxthon 5 is a popular browser that is now used by millions of people. Maxthon 5 has the advantage of requiring less than 512 MB RAM, 64 MB of storage, and a 1GHz processor to operate well. The browser offers a variety of cloud synchronization and backup options for syncing data across many devices. Aside from that, Maxthon 5 has an ad blocker that eliminates advertisements from the websites you visit.
- The web browser is lightweight and fast.
- Maxthon 5 shows the shortcuts for commonly used Windows tools on the toolbar.
- It also provides users a ‘Night Mode’ to reduce eye damage & high brightness.
- Maxthon 5 also offers a screen-capture tool, Reader Mode, and custom skins.
Mozilla’s browser support for Windows Vista and Windows XP has come to an end. However, if you have an older PC or laptop with a Windows 7 operating system, Firefox is still a better option than Chrome. Firefox, unlike Chrome, does not use a lot of RAM and requires a lot of processing power.
- Firefox is right now the best Google Chrome alternative for Windows.
- Compared to other web browsers, Firefox is fast and lightweight.
- It automatically blocks ads and trackers from the webpages.
- The latest version of Firefox also got a dark mode.
It’s one of the most well-known web browsers for Windows PCs. It’s been around for almost a decade and is still in use by a large number of people. The web browser is designed to be used as a normal web browser, and since it is a lightweight browser, it lacks many contemporary features such as an adblocker and a VPN.
- The web browser has a built-in ad blocker that blocks ads from the web pages.
- SeaMonkey also has a Safe mode that helps you to solve problems that might occur.
- It also offers lots of lightweight themes to give the browser a personal touch.
Lunascape is a browser that combines the features of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer. It’s a super-lightweight web browser that combines Trident, Gecko, and WebKit into a single package. The UI resembles that of Internet Explorer, and it uses little resources.
- The web browser uses the Gecko Engine, which makes it blazing fast.
- Lunascape lets you switch the rendering engine for any page.
- The web browser supports the add-ons of Firefox.
8. Slim Browser
For an ancient machine, it’s one of the finest and fastest web browsers available. Despite being a lightweight browser, it has all of the contemporary features you’d expect, such as a download manager, site translation, and ad blocking. Slim Browser also displays weather conditions and predictions, among other things.
- The web browser is lightning fast. It offers ten times faster file & video download speed.
- Slim Browser got a built-in ad-blocker.
- The web browser also offers a fully customizable toolbar.
- Slim Browser also has gestures support that lets you get things done in less time.
On a Windows PC, Comodo IceDragon is one of the fastest, most secure, and feature-rich web browsers available. The web browser is based on Firefox, so it’s quick and light on your computer’s resources. It can now check web pages for viruses directly from the browser. Aside from that, it has an integrated DNS service that speeds up surfing.
- The web browser is fast, easy to use, and light on system resources.
- It automatically scans and blocks malicious webpages.
- The web browser supports every Firefox plug-in.
10. UR Browser
It’s the final web browser on the list that doesn’t place a burden on your machine. UR Browser removes advertising and web trackers to improve page loading speed. It also safeguards your data privacy in the process. Because UR Browser is built on Chromium, you can anticipate a lot of Chrome-like features. It also comes with a built-in VPN and a virus scanner.
- The web browser is fast, and it’s completely ad-free.
- It offers lots of tools to control your privacy.
- The web browser also got a built-in virus scanner.